Friday, February 12, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset

No, this is not about the song from Fiddler on the Roof.

When I was growing up, the big picture window in our house faced West. I saw more gorgeous sunsets then I will ever be able to count. Recently it occurred to me that I haven't seen very many gorgeous sunrises, even when we had windows facing East. The reason I missed all of them is because we had blinds on those windows and I usually didn't open them until very late in the morning.

Our house that we live in now has a big window that faces South, but we have a nice view of the East. Right now it doesn't have blinds on it. During the winter, when we all have to get up early for school, work, etc, it is still dark. But this affords me the opportunity to watch a gorgeous sunrise. Of course, the sun rises every morning, but if it is too rainy or foggy, the sky just gets lighter. It only counts as a gorgeous sunrise if the sky turns pink.

Over the past month, I have found myself putting off things I need to do just so I can sit and watch the sky turn pink. And I realize how many of these I have missed out on.

I would like to get some sort of window covering in the living room, but I definitely do not want blinds. I'm thinking some sort of drapes. I want some privacy but I also want to let in enough early morning light so I can tell when the sky is pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment